A Daily Photo Blog about Life in Northern New South Wales, Australia.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Imagining the Mekong

Sometimes a photo can take you to another time, another place. I guess that is the very basis of the art, the photo does lie, but it also reveals a truth about the photographer as well.
As I traveled along Ashby Island Rd it reminded me of the Mekong River, the brown water, the thick mangroves, the dense and rank riparian weeds. I took the shot and then created this scenario in my head:
the gunboat lay waiting, hiding, unsure if contact was just minutes away......
Then you get home and realise the brick veneer house is in-congruent with the memory and story. What does every photographer do... they crop.
In the end I prefer the uncropped image anyway but would never give up the imagining.

This is my contribution to James's Weekend Reflections meme.

7 comments:

  1. I like the crop ... and imagining is what it is all about. Each of us see an image and imagine different things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the crop too Mark, but I loooove your imagination!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the crop as well and agree with what Joan says.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the cropped version...and I agree - enjoyed your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I prefer the cropped version too! Gives more intensity and immediacy to the central reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great with the computer, crop away things you are unhappy with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...